Tuesday, June 26, 2007

The Search for Pier 91

Anyone who knows me is aware that I am an ideas person- who perhaps falls short on follow-through. That being said, I was particulary ambitious when I sent a call out over email recently for volunteers to join me in a 4 month Seattle Works team.

Seattle Works is a local organization that offers one-time volunteer events targeted at 20-30 somethings. It's an easy way to get involved and it also offers the added bonus of meeting new people (I get the feeling most people join teams when they are new to the city- I've been here for 5 years, so that's pushing it). The team program places volunteers on teams of 15 - and the teams participate in one volunteer event a month for 4 months.

Tai was kind enough to not only indulge me by joining Seattle Works with me- but to also text me to make sure I was awake this past Saturday for our first volunteer event (8:45am!) and bring me a medium latte (thanks again Tai!). Apparently, Tai and I are on the Amazon.com team - the reason being that our team leader is an Amazon employee. However, we also have a couple of individuals from a local church group, the Gates Foundation, and some other people whom I haven't quite figured out yet.

So - we showed up diligently at Northwest Harvest at 8:45 this past Saturday - which is located on Pier 91 near the Magnolia Bridge. For those of you not familiar with this Pier - there are a lot of organizations located here, and also quite a few different enterances (one of my many reaons for being late). We sorted apples for about 4 hours - followed by a couple of bloody marys and beer at some place on lower Queen Anne. Not a bad way to spend a morning - do some good and have a drink.

No comments: